Sunday 17 January 2010

Home made burgers and oven wedges

So I made this as a fairly simple but healthy supper to greet Calum when he came home from a hard day's work, being the domesticated little thing that I am. The wedges were a slightly tricky, but only in that they requiring 2 methods of cooking: parboiling and baking. Having peeled and chopped the potatoes into wedges, I parboiled them for 5 minutes then coated them in a mixture of melted butter and jerk seasoning. They were then baked for 25 minutes and came out with a lovely crisp skin and slightly floury inside. I then made a dip of maple syrup, mayonnaise and whole grain mustard to serve the wedges with, which had a slight sweetness to counteract the bite of the mustard. Once made, the dip went into the fridge to chill whilst the rest of the food was being made.

The burgers themselves were pretty easy, I just wacked mince and, chopped onions and some herbs and spices into a bowl, mixed them together, formed patties and used the George Foreman grill to cook them, thus reducing the fat content even further. I then topped them with lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Calum didn't seem so sure about the inclusion of the last salad element, but since I like the crunch I justified their use with the fact that they are basically unpickled gherkins.


Picture of the final masterpiece:

No comments:

Post a Comment